Sunday, August 17, 2008

Lasagna Cone?


I'd like to take note of a creative bit of parenting that was passed along to me today. Rachel is still to little to know anything but her mother's own milk but I am well aware that as children grow older and parents start introducing more foods into their diets that they are not always cooperative about eating everything that is put in front of them on their plates. My wife Bree witnessed this very phenomenon when she went to visit her friend Ellie this afternoon.

Ellie has a two year old son named Matthew. Matthew did not want to eat the lasagna that had been given to him for lunch. Instead he was insisting that he get some ice cream. His parents patiently advised him that he could have some ice cream if he would at least eat some of his lasagna. But Matthew wasn't having it. He wanted ice cream or nothing. So as the story was relayed to me, Matthew's father Eric finally just said to put the lasagna in a cone and give it to the kid. So that's what they did. Matthew ate it all, and never even asked for the real ice cream again afterwards.

I appreciate the imrovisation that this showed and I hope that when I am faced with similar challenges that I am able to come up with similarly clever and effective solutions.

Today was also the first time that Rachel was introduced to Ellie's new daughter Anna. Anna is about 2 months older than Rachel, and we hope that they can be good friends one day.

4 comments:

Brian Hinshaw said...

The lasagna cone actually sounds quite good. There should be more gastronomic applications for the cone. I had a wicked good spicy tuna handroll once, which uses a kind of dried and pressed seaweed cone.

I would like to have a sloppy joe served in a potato chip cone, or maybe an extra-large Bugles-brand snack chip.

johnwohlbier said...

mmmmmm..... lasagna cone.

Trevor said...

It is my understanding that the seaweed cone gets a lot of use in Japan. The Japanese are actually far ahead of the United States in the use of food-cone technology. After the invention of the Sno-Cone, people seemed to stop applying new uses to cones, preferring instead to put all of their food into wraps. I think what America needs now is the introduction of a big meatball cone, dripping with gravy. Notice that the boy in the photo I chose for the picture actually looks like he might be Japanese. Notice the look of extreme longing. That may be hard wired, not just for the ice cream, but for the cone. When his tastes mature I'm sure he will like the tuna hand rolls as much as you and I.

Brian Hinshaw said...

http://www.crispycones.com/

They don't seem to actually exist yet, but care to invest?